This free butterfly printable is perfect for teaching about butterflies! It’s so easy to make, and kids love making the wings flutter like magic!
Make a whole kaleidoscope of fluttering butterflies!
This butterfly works by moving a straw over a skewer – it’s so simple, and yet so effective!
You will need:
- Print out the free printable. Make sure that your printer is set to ‘actual size’ or ‘100%’ so that it prints at the correct size. Card works better than paper for this craft because it’s firmer, but paper will work if you don’t have card. You could print it on white card and colour in, or print on coloured card.
- If you want to, colour the butterflies in.
- Cut the butterflies out.
- Fold a butterfly in half, with the right sides together.
- Fold the wings back along the white dotted lines.
- Push a skewer up into the fold between the wings. Tape the black centre part of the wings together to hold the skewer in place securely. Double-sided tape works well here. Ensure that the sharp end of the skewer is either tucked into the fold of the paper, so it doesn’t jab anyone! Or, cut it off so it’s not a hazard.
- Make a cut about 5cm into the top of the straw, and bend the two sides out.
- Slide the straw over the skewer and tape it underneath the butterfly’s wings.
- Hold the skewer in one hand, and the straw in the other. Gently move the straw up and down to make the butterfly’s wings flutter!